Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Good Things (cauliflower steaks and mushroom gravy)

Oprah does it, Martha does it, they highlight "good things". Food, crafts, products, and projects that they are just crazy about right now. I thought "good things" would be a nice way to creep my way back into the blog-o-sphere.

First, I should let you all know that I did not win the car.

I digress.

Papaya-banana "pudding". 1 papaya and 1 banana in blender. Enjoy

The view out my new "winter housing" kitchen window.

A little dragon and a little lobster.

Adding kale to canned soup. Its the little things.

Cooking with my babe--thanks to the Ergo Carrier

Pea greens! In eggs, salads, soups, and pesto

My new I-phone app- that allows me to take these new "old" photos (Hipstamatic)
And the little red wagon.

Brussel sprouts on the stalk. What fun!

Fall leaves and the cutest little owl hat

OMG! Cauliflower steaks.

Cauliflower is not a vegetable I've experimented with much. I've heard about the ole' cauliflower "mashed potatoes", but thought that was more a Weight Watcher's trick than anything anyone would really want to eat. My naivete in the potential of cauliflower is vast. Considering it is a cruciferous vegetable, much like kale or it's cousin broccoli, I really should have given it a chance sooner. Well this week I did, and I have to say what a treat!

The cauliflower steaks were served over a cauliflower puree with roasted sweet vegetables, roasted kale and a mushroom gravy. This was a prime time vegetarian meal. I may be a meat eater now, but I still find the most delicious and creative foods are those that are strictly vegetarian.

Cauliflower Steaks and Puree

Preheat oven to 350*

Use either 1 big head or 2 small heads cauliflower
olive oil
1 cup milk (I used soy, whatever milk you choose)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbl butter
salt and pepper

Cut a 1 inch piece out of the middle of the cauliflower, cutting straight down and through the stem (cut 2 pieces out of the 1 big head if that's what you use)

Cut up the remaining florets off the cauliflower and put them in a pot with the milk, veg stock, and salt and pepper.

Bring the florets to a boil, then let them simmer while you pan sear the steaks.

Drizzle each side of the steak with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear each side of the cauliflower steak until golden brown.

Put steaks in oven at 350* till they become tender and browned (about 15 minutes).

Once the florets are soft, drain, saving the liquid, and put the florets on a cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes (just to dry them out a little).

Put the florets with a cup of the liquid and butter in the blender till smooth.

Use the remaining cup of liquid in your gravy!

Mushroom Miso Gravy-awesome gravy for any dish-especially when you go meatless.

2 portobella mushrooms
1 Tbl butter
2 Tbl sweet white miso
1 cup soy milk (milk) (or the remaining floret liquid)
3 Tbl flour (your choice)
1/2 onion
1 Tbl thyme
Black pepper

Saute onion and mushroom in butter till soft
Coat the mushroom mixture in the flour, add thyme.
Dissolve the miso in the soy milk, stirring till mixed thoroughly.
Add the soy milk/miso to the onions. Stir till thickens.
Add black pepper to taste.

I still say being able to make a tasty healthy gravy in a flash is a real pleaser. Speaking of pleasers, I hope to not be a teaser, and rather a regular weezer (of words and recipes on this blog) from now on-- I had the summer off, now it's time to get back into the kitchen. See you next week!





3 comments:

natalieaubin said...

love the cauliflower recipe, and of course the pic of Wes in the cute little owl hat :)

Malika said...

Yay! You're back! I've been missing your blogs and your meal inspirations. :)

Emily Campbell said...

I have been missing this so much!! I love all the pics - I have a similar one of Maile and me cooking in the kitchen, although, it was before the time of the Ergo - you know, back in the day of the Baby Bjorn :)