Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas


It's Christmas morning and my gift to myself is 15 minutes to write this post. I would give myself more time, but with Chopper making breakfast and Wesley sleeping, I have all the gifts I need...and there's laundry to fold.

I awoke this morning with that excited "santa came" feeling and I think that has everything to do with my new family. Wes won't remember this Christmas, but Chopper is giving me a glimpse into the excitement of Christmas for a little boy. Yes, the emotions of childhood Chopper are flowing and I am starting to see the magic (think A Christmas Story, red rider bb gun excitement). I am wondering if it is different for little boys and little girls, or just different for me and Chop. I would love to hear from some of the blog readers your insight- is there something about little boys and Christmas, or rather is there something about how men remember Christmas that differs than women. This is coming from the fact that I only ever hear men talk about it in that nostalgic whimsical way. I know women love Christmas but it seems to have more to do with creating that magic (oh boy, I hope I'm not way off base here...what a sexist!) Another man I know was talking recently about "laying the alter" with each ornament, (decorating the Christmas tree) for the gifts that santa would bring, he painted quite a picture with that one sentiment. So yeah, curious, not to get too psych-y on everyone.

3 comments:

Terry said...

Getting ready for Christmas has always been memorable for me. It begins with the joy and excitement on Jamiel and Chiara's face, when we find that perfect tree that would grace our home with its beauty. I find it touching when little arms embrace the tree as if it was their mother,offering their joy to the tree. Once home, we carefully and gently place the tree in her new home, feed its soul with water, and adorn her branches with beautiful ornaments that I have collected over 25 years. Some of which are hand made by my children, friends and family members; others which are over 50 years old, and some come from far away places....all beautiful and sentimental to me. Through out the holiday season, Christmas music fills our home just about everyday, usually chosen by Steve or the kids.....a nice selection of folk, classical, celtic, jazz and even good old rock n' roll Christmas music...all good! Another fond tradition, is cuddling up on the futon with Steve and the kids watching classic Christmas movies; my favorites, Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" and "Its a Wonderful Life". But, what adds to the magic of Christmas is on Christmas Eve, just before my children settle down to sleep for the night. Chiara and Jamiel leaves milk and cookies for Santa, and let us not forget the reindeer food, you got to have reindeer food for them after all! Its Chiara's recipe of oats, nuts and raisins (as she puts it, "I want them to eat healthy". what can I say, a kid after my own heart"

hiking-rhode-island said...

I remember my childhood Christmases as being very magical, and that is what I passed down to my children. Which makes me think that children are an intrisnic part of having magic in Christmas -- since Chopper & Jeremy have moved out Christmas morning is so very ho hum. Spending time with you guys on Christmas Eve brings a little bit of the magic back.
love you all!

hiking-rhode-island said...

p.s. cute pic of Wes on your lap <3