Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cleaning or Greening out the holidays (greens on greens)

The holidays were a feast and that's no joke. Chopper ended up with stomach bug symptoms and blamed the chocolate and rich foods. When I kept going (eating cookies, chocolate, and drinking eggnog 2 days after Christmas) he took the opportunity to give me a tisk tisk look and a few comments until I told him to "watch it" (that's a direct quote). So now I have caught up with Chopper, and I too, am relaxing on the sweets. I'm looking forward to the cleanse I have planned for the island at the end of January, and realize the prep for that starts now.

Because it seems that the exhaustion of over-eating and indulging, is a common sentiment this time of year, I will share with you my personal plan of attack to combat the sugar high and addiction that ensues. I get bitten with the sweet bug every year just like everyone else and every year the sweets linger past the holidays. I also usually feel a bit down once all the celebration comes to a hault and it can be quite cold and lonely come January/February (especially here on the island). We all know that cold, lonely and depressed are never the emotions that help us to make healthy choices for ourselves. So, that being said the sooner you start the shedding process the better.

My personal plan: Starts with Greens! Always. If you talk to any of my clients (perhaps you were one) you will recognize this pattern. Once your body starts to get the minerals, nutrients, and oxygen it needs, it will want for less. Dark leafy greens.

So for step one I've included a recipe here that is one of my favorites. It is a recipe from one of my teachers and mentors, Andrea Beaman.

Greens on greens (Andrea Beaman)

1 head of kale
1/2 bunch of scallions
1/2 bunch of parsley
3 Tbl soy sauce
3 Tbl Ume Plum Vinegar
1/3 cup Tahini
1/2 cup water

De-stem the kale and tear into bite size pieces (for a great how-to video go HERE). Then steam till bright green (using a steamer basket will keep the kale from getting to watery).

Put the rest of the ingredients into your food processor or blender (if you are not using a high-power blender you will want to chop the scallions and parsley first) and blend until smooth.

Pour the lovely green sauce over the lovely steamed greens.

Sideways parsley and scallions, chopped. Don't they look pretty sideways?

Kale steamed till bright green.

This is delicious as is, or you can add other veggies, a protein, or even soba noodles are yummy.

Stay tuned for step 2, in the meantime green away. You can never green too much.

2 comments:

grasshopper said...

Mmmmmm...more Kale. You can't OD on it, right?

Does it have to be Ume Plum Vinegar? I have some balsamic vinegar - can I use that?

persephone said...

You could probably use rice wine vinegar instead, balsamic is a much stronger/different flavor. This is a good opportunity to try a new vinegar, and then you can make this sauce again and again for all your greens :) You could use any green for this recipe, but I don't think there is any real fear of od-ing on kale.