Friday, October 9, 2009

Apple Coffee Cake


Bundt cake cooling trick.

Before I loved to cook, I loved to bake. Unfortunately baking, as delicious as the results may be, isn't always the healthiest of options. So with health counseling and healthy cooking, came less and less baking. But I still love to bake, and these days (being pregnant and all) I love baked goods as well, so I pulled out my mixer and went to work.

Few tips to getting the most out of your baked goods. Now I know that if you are craving a cookie, you aren't necessarily going to be looking for a healthy alternative. However, if you have a healthier alternative cookie on hand you will curb that craving by having something that is a little more modest and will lead to less cravings in the long run.

Also, if you do partake in a little baking at home, you can control how much you actually intake. If you make a batch of dough, freeze half. If you make a coffee cake, after its done cut slices and put the rest in freezer as well, make these treats last. Most people bake and then for fear of wasting, continue to eat the whole tray, pan, or dish throughout the week.

Experiment with flours, try rice, spelt, or coconut flour for different textures and some gluten free options. In general it is good to have variety in your diet, causing less strain on your intestines from wheat wheat and more wheat. Experiment with sweeteners, try agave, molasses, evaporated cane juice, honey, date sugar or maple syrup. Getting away from processed white sugar will help the baked treat to not wreak havoc on your blood sugar-causing less highs and lows and in turn less cravings.

So that being said. I made an Apple Coffee Cake that was a favorite at the cafe when I baked for them. Can't say I strayed too far from the original recipe here, the biggest change I made was playing around with the oil used. It calls for "vegetable oil", which is typically rancid rapeseed oil, that has been filtered and processed to remove all of the stank (lovely isn't it?). So in baking I use coconut oil. Because it is hard at room temperature you do need to melt it, but then it pours just like vegetable oil. Coconut oil has many benefits, which are listed if you follow the link. One of the coolest benefits, I think, is that it contains lauric acid which is only found in one other place...human breast milk. Lauric acid is converted into monolaurin which is an antimicrobial, and antibacterial so it can help to prevent/cure viruses and bacterial infections. I like to add a spoonful of coconut oil to my smoothies, or at times if I am craving fats, I will eat it by the spoonful. Another great use is to lather it on your skin...mmmm.

Apple Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350*
Bundt Pan
4 med granny smith apples
4 Tbl plus 2 cups sugar (I used evaporated cane juice granulated-not to be fooled into thinking this is a "healthy" sugar, but it is just one step less processed and I like the added depth of molasses flavor using this sugar allows-it is also less expensive to bake with than my ideal, agave)
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
1 cup coconut oil (also great at high heat-wonderful to cook with. Make sure to buy unrefined)
1/4 cup oj
1 Tbl Orange marmalade (if you don't have it, any jam will be yummy)
1 tsp vanilla
3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix apple with cinnamon and 4 Tbl of sugar


*Mix apple with cinnamon and 4 Tbl of sugar
*Combine sugar, eggs, coconut oil, oj, marmalade, and vanilla
*Combine flour, baking powder, and salt
*Mix the dry ingredients with the wet
*Properly grease pan (coconut oil works for that too!)Layer the batter and the apples in the pan...starting with the batter and ending with apples


I laid these apples out all nice nice, these will be in the middle of the cake.


The apples on the bottom, not so much. Let them be a little messy and gooey.

Bake for an hour to an hour and a half (depending on your oven) at 350*. When it does come out, enjoy. Share this with friends or with enemies to turn things around....or skip it, and save this for yourself in your freezer for a rainy coffee cake kind of day.

1 comment:

Emily said...

This looks yummy - think I'll try it out! Glad you found some time for it and blogging, was selfishly missing your posts and wondering when you were going to start up again :)