Thursday, September 17, 2009

WWPD? (eating potluck style)

Good food, friends, and gosh(!) a gorgeous view! My last week on the island was beautiful and included lots of fun activity. On labor day, friends of ours, had a mini potluck in the middle of the day. They were heading home to the mainland on the 5:00 boat, ready for another year of teaching, and I was heading to my last night of work, before I took my own leave for a different kind of job.


It was a perfect day and the setting was oh so relaxing. These friends have spent the whole summer living on a nature preserve on the island. You have to either hike or boat out to their little oasis and once you've made the trek, boy is it worth it!


Corn and black bean salsa, with fresh tomato, cilantro, avocado salt and pepper, and the hand of an obvious artist.

Tofu squewers with pineapple and cherry tomatos, brushed in a spicy marinade, these were then grilled on the hibachi. Little things top grilled pineapple.

Unbelievable bruschetta, everything fresh from the garden. Homemade pesto, cherry tomato, and avocado.

The grand spread, including but not limited to hard boiled local farm eggs, and a beet gazpacho.

All of these meals were simple and yet so delicious. I like the idea of eating potluck style at home. Of course this means you have to make all the food yourself, but sometimes it is easier to throw together a meal which has no rhyme or reason than planning and matching flavors just so. There is nothing wrong with a dinner of mismatched flavors that is quick and simple to prepare. Leftover thai with salad and burritos? Sure thing. Who's complaining? Just think, WWPD? What would potluck do?

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh yum, everything looks so deliciously perfect and healthy. Thanks for sharing. I love the Nature Preserve idea. How'd they get that gig? Wonderful. You're so lucky you get to spend so much time here (on the Block). It's blissful. I know you will be amazing at your new job.

natalie said...

I thought WWPD stood for "What Would Persephone Do" :)

persephone said...

Haha, how did I not think of that? Makes much more sense! I guess I like the arbitrary use of random words and acronyms :)