Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stuffed peppahs!

Perhaps we left the island a little prematurely, or perhaps it is better to be safe than sorry. I have been feeling very "safe" lately, the physical limitations of pregnancy have caused me to slow a bit, and the waiting for baby has slowed time. Fortunately we have friends and family that are all willing to drive Miss Daisy so to speak, this allows me to keep busy and occupied. Today I am going to Newport with my friend Becky, she will shop and I will watch her, as I am trying not to spend money. Though it will be great getting out, grabbing a bite, and walking around. Maybe the cobblestone streets will get things moving!

This weekend was great, having Chopper around (he has been commuting to the island, those are some long hours). We got lots done and now even have a living room! I was convinced after last week that the baby was waiting till we had a place where we could all sit and snuggle together. On Sunday, we had a nice visit with friends Paul and Tonia who had there baby 3 weeks ago. We watched intently as the baby slept, as they fed her, and as they changed her diaper. During the diaper change I realized Chopper and I were both staring, mouths agape, in silence...I know I had never watched a changing so intently. Towards the end of the visit my parents stopped by, and then Chop's parents (I think people are getting excited), they were each bringing us things that we need and being ever so helpful as we scramble to make a house a home in the anticipation of baby.

After those nice visits we headed to Chop's brother Jeremy's for a nice quiet dinner. Jeremy and his wife Kristen have a fantastic garden and many fruit trees on their small plot in Providence. It is such a nice oasis in the middle of an urban area. They are both champion canners and each year we get delicious jams (many flavors), canned pears in mint, apple sauce, tomato sauce, etc etc. It is a nice treat, although I have to admit I have garden/fruit tree envy (they even have a bing cherry tree!) So for this lovely dinner we ate one of their favorite vegetarian dishes, quinoa stuffed peppers. It really is a yummy dish, and as Jeremy pointed out, it isn't missing anything except for maybe some meat (though he admitted the first time he had it, he forgot there wasn't any meat in the meal). There really is lots of flavor for such a simple dish, and each person gets their own nice little package.

I asked them if they would be so kind to share the recipe and maybe take some pictures for me, since I didn't have my camera. I am still so excited to share new recipes and uses for those grains(!!), even though my cooking has been waining in these last weeks of gestation.

Chop and I had brought some roasted root vegetables. We had also made a nice salad, but forgot it at home, so this was a very nice fall flavored meal.

Stuffed Red Peppers With Parmesan, Quinoa & Walnuts
(I believe this is a Martha Stewart recipe)
4 red bell peppers (choose squatty ones that will easily stand upright when you bake them)
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground coriander
Coarse salt and Pepper
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
½ cup fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or grated aged provolone)

1. Preheat the oven to 450◦, with rack in upper third. Slice a very thin layer from the base of your pepper so it sits upright. Slice off the top, just below the stem and remove the ribs and seeds. “Rinse and Repeat” with the other peppers. Discard the stems, chop the tops and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, coriander and chopped pepper tops; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add quinoa and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender, 11 to 13 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in parsley, walnuts and ¾ cup of cheese; season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide evenly, stuff peppers with quinoa mixture; place in a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until peppers are tender, about 45 to 55 minutes . Uncover; top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese melts, 10 minutes more.

I told Jeremy, I normally like to include a picture of Chopper eating whatever it is I am sharing, and so he happily obliged.

2 comments:

Madeline Rains said...

Mmmmmm. I will add it to my Persephone(and her family) recipes to make list.

I hope the baby takes some more time to come so that you are bursting to see it and then you will be ever so ready. NOT that I wish you to go two weeks past your date like me. Not saying that at all.

natalie said...

What is Chopper using the ketchup for??? :)