Friday, June 19, 2009

Creamy Zuchini (cream of zuchini soup)


Blustery, rainy, cold, and gray. It is all people are talking about, and it is weighing on a population of people, who wait all winter for the sun and warmth come June. The past month has been great for the hibernators, great for reading, great for computer time, and great for soup. Unfortunately since my "soup diet" came slap dab in the middle of my (unbeknownst to me) first trimester, I have had little desire or appetite for soup since.

I decided to break my no soup stretch yesterday, when the weather and the fresh zuchini were calling for it. I have a creamy zuchini soup recipe that is cleanse friendly and uses fresh and dried herbs and spices for all the flavor.

Once the soup was made and ready to be eaten the sun came out. It ended up being a beautiful evening, warm, mist on the water, and a calm sea. Chop and I ate our soup, took a walk around town, and then drove to the North Light to watch the sunset. Today the sun woke us up, but was quickly covered by fog, and the forecast is more clouds and more rain. Fortunately we have leftover soup.

Cream of Zuchini Soup (sans cream of course ;)
1 chopped onion
3-4 diced garlic cloves
1 diced celery
2 large or 3-4 small zuchini
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 T dill
2 T cumin
a touch of cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable stock

Simmer ingredients for about an hour then blend with hand blender or in food processor.
Onions, leeks, and garlic greens fresh from Blazing Star farm (our CSA)

Boil toil, looks nice doesn't it? Very fragrant.

Finished soup, after hitting the Blend-tec. Yummy and creamy. Here it is garnished with a little fresh dill (also from the farm), but next came a shake of nutritional yeast for an added cheesy flavor and vitamin B.

Our beautiful salad that kept the soup company in our bellies. Made from arugula, green leaf lettuce, strawberries, and garlic greens all from our CSA!

4 comments:

javafilm said...

Wonderful! You look so radiant, and happy! As I am reading FB, linked onto this, from Danielle's post, and see at top of page, none other than a sight deeply embedded within me, for the many, many years living in the apartment above Juice n' Java! Are you living there? OMG! Do tell! I pine for those dear days. There have been, by the way, many children born in that house, atop Dodge Street. My own granddaughter, for one.

Bethany said...

Oh, I love this photo. It made my heart leap. Lovely BI. Thanks for sharing. The soup sounds delicious. Keep up the fantastic blog P. You always make me smile.

Madeline said...

I did it! I bought the Blendtec, using your link to Amazon, and a few of the books, and I am going to juice and smoothe like crazy!! All inspired by you, my friend, and your beautiful pictures.

persephone said...

You did it Maddie!! Wow, I'm impressed! Let me know how it goes, have fun!!