Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Clearing the Fog (cooling smoothy & citrus smoothy)

I am suffering what is called "pregnancy brain". Chopper may disagree and say that I am always this scattered, but I think even he is coming around to this theory. It is funny at times, but mostly very frustrating for me. For those that aren't familiar, basically IF I have a thought, it will (almost guaranteed) be a fleeting one. Yesterday I made hummus, baba ghanoush, and clam chowder from clams that a friend and I harvested ourselves. This same friend came over and while I was making my baba ghanoush, she made mushroom soup and split pea soup (the clam chowder was a joint effort). Did I take a single picture? No. Did I write down a single recipe? No. This is a prime example of how my pregnancy brain can be very frustrating, I had my camera out on the counter with all intentions of documenting the dishes...and then just spaced it.

So this morning I decided to get real clear on what I wanted to make today. Starting with my morning smoothie. This smoothie is good for anyone with symptoms of heat or inflammation in the body. Swelling, redness, rosacea is a good example of this, as is a very red tongue. I have decided to combat typical pregnancy symptoms before they may occur, like swelling feet or water retention. The best way to do this? Cooling foods and lots of water.


Cooling Food Smoothie

watermelon (about 2 slices in chunks)
cantelope (about 2 slices in chunks)
cucumber (half a cuc)
mango (one mango sliced)
pineapple (1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks)
spirulina (2 tsp. spirulina-a living blue-green algae)
3-4 ice cubes

Blend on high.

The spirulina makes is bright green!


So refreshing and cleansing!

Citrus Smoothie
1 lemon
1 orange
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
2 T agave nectar
1/2 cup water
3-4 ice cubes

No comments: