Friday, May 1, 2009

Cleansing, but first....Dessert (3 delicious healthy desserts)

What an amazing cleanse group session last night!! Really. Everyone is energized, nervous, excited, with a little trepidation...an emotional potpourri like this, is certain to make you feel alive. 20 cleanse seekers are joining me in a 10 day cleanse/elimination diet. We start tomorrow and I already can't wait till Monday to hear everyone's thoughts and feelings at our next session! When I start the cleanse, I will share some cleanse recipes, but it won't be till then...I have one more day of eating how I'd like!

Today I will share with you some of my favorite (healthy) desserts these days. Don't worry there is a whole list of unhealthy desserts that I have been enjoying, with ice cream topping that list, but these are what I make at home when I want a treat (don't forget on Block Island you can't just run to the corner store, we gots to get creative!)

Dessert #1. The Baked Apple: yes I know, it's been around for years, this was a favorite of mine growing up (I was raised in a no sweets zone). I've just made my own variation and it doesn't involve an apple corer (those things were such a pain)

Thinly slice apple
Put in bowl and top with a healthy dollop of almond butter (you can use peanut butter, but if you want the opportunity to branch out..this is your chance!)
Drizzle (my nizzle) with some agave nectar
Sprinkle with cinnamon (Aside: I was sprinkling my cinnamon when something didn't quite look right, it was turmeric! The stuff is great for you, but I can't say I love it. I continued on with lots of cinnamon and I have to say the turmeric has added a really nice depth of flavor)
Put in the toaster oven on 400* for about 10 minutes (make sure to use an oven safe bowl)
You can use a microwave for convenience, but only for about a minute or 2.
When it comes out I like to sprinkle it with a little flax seed, gives it that nutty, crust like texture/flavor. The juices seep out of the apple, the almond butter and agave get all gooey, and the spice(s) add really nice flavor. So good!

Don't they look so fresh and clean?


Now they look dirty and delicious!
#2 This one a client told me about.
1/2 grapefruit (sliced/prepped)
Drizzle with agave
Sprinkle with cinnamon
Microwave for 1 minute. You can use the toaster over for this one too 400* about 6-7 minutes
Really delicious. Who would have thought...warm citrus?


#3 Really simple (well they all are), hardly a stretch of the imagination...but worth the small stretch
Organic plain yogurt (or greek yogurt)
sliced strawberries (organic, they are on the dirty dozen)
drizzle with agave
Top with toasted pecans
mmm...mmmm

2 comments:

eheff said...

grapefruit+a tiny bit of ginger+a touch of sweetness under the broiler very briefly=delicious

must try that baked apple...yum.

persephone said...

ooo, that does sound good! something about the broiler :)