Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mango my mango (cod pappilote w/ mango/avocado salad)

I thought a few fun recipes and dishes before we go into cleanse mode would be a good idea. I had a great turnout for the cleanse group last night and I am getting super excited to join a dynamic group of people on the cleansing journey. I will give you all of the details of the cleanse once we are underway, if you'd like you may even choose to try it out for yourself.

Looking at the dish I've chosen here, I believe it is cleanse friendly if you subtract the potatoes, wow I'd be happy to eat something like that while cleansing (alright!). This dish was inspired by the left over baked potatoes last week. They got mashed and then came the fish, I noticed I happened to have a red onion, a mango, and avocado...I knew something delicious would come these ingredients, I just didn't know quite what to make of it.

Fortunately after working in restaurants for years, I have some pretty good chef friends. One of them who I call any time I get stuck in the kitchen. He is a good friend and a great chef, he's also a character, and I wish I had a picture of Aaron I could post here for all of you. So I gave Aaron a buzz, and he let me know I was definitely on the right track. I was going to simply bake the fish, when he suggested I do it Papillote style. En Papillote (french for In paper) is a dish where fish is baked in a parchment paper with jullienned vegetables and herbs, this creates a steaming technique and makes a beautiful fragrant dish. In Nicaragua I had papillote where they steamed the fish in banana leaves (it probably has a different name then, but it was made the same way). For my fish I simply dressed it in some sliced lemon and seasoned it with herbs, then, instead of wrapping it in paper, I put a lid on the pan creating the same steaming effect.

Cod in a cast iron pan topped with oregano, lemon basil, thyme, lemon slices and some chopped onion.

The fish only took about 12 minutes, but in the meantime I mixed the mango with the avocado, onion, some cucumber, oh yeah and some golden beets (another one of Aaron's suggestions...he actually miss heard me and thought I said beets, when I corrected him he sounded disappointed and brought to my attention that mangos and beets are an excellent combination. I was lucky to have 2 golden beets in the fridge). The beets were blanched for just a few minutes to soften them a bit and then tossed in. I believe I used some herbed white vinegar (just a splash) some lemon juice, sea salt and olive oil (Aaron spoke about the importance of the acid in the sweet dish, white wine was mentioned as an option.) The salad was really good. I suggest making it at any time for any reason.Aside from the mango salad we threw some arugula on the plate. I can't seem to get enough of it lately. Alone drizzled with a little olive oil and a dash of sea salt...delicious.


And now...how to slice a mango....Slice the mango as close to the pit as possible. In the meaty part you've just sliced away from the pit, make grid like slices and then turn the peel out to reveal the mango chunks, either slice off with a knife or pull off with your hands...or eat right out with ya mouth.

3 comments:

Madeline said...

Wow. I have to immediately call Nicolas and add mangos to the list! Can't you just move here with your growing family and work as our personal chef?

Alicyn said...

Oh my YUM.

Auntie said...

i admire you and am so proud of you, can't wait to see you ~