Thursday, April 9, 2009

Collard Wraps (collard wrap with eggs)

Collard greens are best known for their showcase in southern cooking. Go to New Orleans and you'll get collards like I've never made, they are creamy and salty with just enough bacon added to make you smile. There is a reason for that bacon too, Collards being one of the strongest of the greens, gets a little help from the fats in breaking down and digesting. Since I don't use bacon in my own cooking, I try to always drizzle a little olive oil over them right before they done. If you are a bacon lover I'd say make your collards with a reasonable amount (meaning not too too much) of bacon and enjoy the best of both worlds.

One of my top ways to use collards is as a wrap. The leaves are so strong and it is a great way to get them raw (meaning all the enzymes and nutrients are intact). Of course I would say, make sure to chew well! Not having the aid of fats and cooking you'll have to use your mouth to break them down sufficiently.The leaves are really big so I cut the really thick part of the stalk out and any greenery that is on the stalk, I dice and throw into whatever I'm making. This leaves the top part of the leaf to use as the wrap. See all 3 parts above...the stalk can go in the compost.This is going to be a breakfast wrap. Scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms and goat cheese. The eggs are from the Lumber Yard on the island (isn't that just perfect?). They have chickens and sell the eggs out of a cooler with all the lumber. The yolks are so bright yellow, like the sun that the chickens get to bask in all day as they eat grubs and roam the property.

Voila, breakfast! The eggs are nice and hot so they tend to steam the collard a little and soften it. Chew well and enjoy!

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Your recipes are so fantastic that I had to steal them for my farm blog!

persephone said...

That's a huge compliment, and I've been trying to increase my traffic...thank you for the shout out!!

Carissa Rodrigue said...

What a great idea! I will have to try this next week. I've been following your blog for a little while now and have tried out a few recipes - the gnocchi and greens was the latest, and it was so easy and delicious. I love greens and am so happy to have new some new recipe ideas. Congrats on your pregnancy!

persephone said...

Hi Carissa,

Thank you and I'm glad you are getting something from this. Once you get moving in the kitchen, this stuff does get pretty easy...I hope to make it accessible for people. Thanks again!