Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ahh Scerole! (intro to escarole/ simple salad dressing)

I was talking with a friend, who was also a client at the time, and I was making the suggestion to get greens in the diet any way that she could. I usually suggest making a game out of it, challenge yourself and get really creative. Slip spinach into a tuna fish sandwich, throw a handful of chopped kale in with a can of soup, etc. We were going over the greens and all of their potential, when we came upon escarole. Personally I had not had much experience with this green, and so I made a somewhat generic suggestion and she looked as unfamiliar with it as I. Then, like a flash, a lightbulb went off and a smile came across her face, "ooohhh scerole!" "I can put scerole in my soup like my mother does." That's where I had heard of this green before, it is popular in Italian cooking, with a quick search on google I just confirmed that it's origin is in the mediterranean basin. And it is in the chicory family, hmm who knew?

My second real exposure to it was at my friends in Georgia's Organic farm, there they make delicious salads with it every night and I really fell in love with its delicate, flavorful leaves.

So with no further ado...Escarole!

I decided to do it up real simple like and make a salad with strawberries and sunflower seeds.
This is the green that had the little buggies on it, so I had already washed and chopped it (see below a few posts back). Something, I suggest for anyone short on time throughout the week. When you come home and you're putting your groceries away, just go through your produce and clean, chop, de-stem, or bag anything that needs special attention. That way when you want to make a salad it's quick and easy and your produce will more likely make it to your plate than the compost bin.

To make the dressing I put about 1 Tbl EVOO, 1/2 Tbl Toasted Sesame Oil, 1 1/2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 Tbl honey, a little s & p to taste. Put the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake shake shake. Its quick and easy and has a nice sweet taste to compliment the strawberries.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Um, but there are like maggots on your salad?
Sorry, I'm naughty.
I guess I'm just feeling like a horrible food eater after ice cream and fried chicken today.
I'm projecting!
Your blog is looking great.