Monday, March 30, 2009

Ruby Ruby (braised chard & mushrooms)

Since I am not doing any specific diet for the next 10 days or the next 9 months for that matter (except of course the diet where I care for my baby and only feed it healthy foods), AND because I have this amazing bounty of greens I've decided to take you with me down the green path.

Today Ruby Chard:I usually like to just saute this up quick quick like with a little sea salt and garlic powder (I use those 2 a lot with greens), but tonight I wanted something a little more. I ended up modifying a recipe I took out of the Greens Glorious Greens cookbook, and adjusted it to fit my pantry.

Braised Chard and Mushrooms: braised sounds so fancy doesn't it? Basically it means slow cooked in liquid.

Original Recipe:
10-12 dried shitake mushrooms
1 lb ruby chard
1 tsp evoo
1 onion
1 lg garlic clove, minced
1 cup water
salt to taste ........SO Simple.

Modified to fit my cupboard recipe:
2 portobello mushrooms
1 bunch ruby chard
1 tsp evoo
1 spring onion
1 lg garlic clove, minced
1 cup vegetable stock
salt to taste

If you use the original recipe the dried mushrooms need to soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes till softened. You then put the juice aside and chop the mushrooms minus the tough stems.

1.Slice the onion and garlic and saute in the oil for about 5 minutes (till translucent)
2.Meanwhile wash the chard and strip the stalks from the leaves. Chop the stalks and then coarsely chop leaves.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms to the onion saute and brown for about 2 minutes
4. Stir in the chopped chard stalks and add either a cup of the mushroom soaking liquid (original recipe) or a cup of veggie stock (cupboard recipe)
5.Cook covered on med for about 5 minutes, till stalks are tender.
6. Add the chopped leaves and mix in. Cover and simmer for about 4-5 minutes, till they are about tender and wilted but still a bright green color.
7.Original recipe suggests draining liquid and setting aside to dip bread in. I added a little kuzu to my recipe as a thickener in order to keep it more like a sauce.
8. Season with salt and serve hot. Serve with some crusty bread .
To wash the chard I rinse in cold water and then hold up to the light to check for any bugs or dirt that may be stuck in place. They really stand out against that bright green.It is no wonder the green carries the name "Ruby" chard look at these gems.The pan before liquid was added
Chopped Ruby ChardThe final dish: Braised ruby chard and portobellos over mixed grains and roasted eggplant.

My original plan was to serve this over grains, but my mouth was watering for more. So while the grains cooked I sliced some eggplant and roasted it up. I love love love roasted eggplant! If the eggplant is fresh its good to go, if it has sat a while (they start to get bitter) it may need to be salted to expel the bitterness. Slice and salt, let sit in a colander for about 15 minutes and you'll see it start to sweat. Toss in olive oil and garlic powder and roast for about 15-20 minutes on 400. So easy and so delicious. I like to just do it up and then have it on hand for sandwiches, pasta, pizza, or just to eat as a snack.

With all of these recipes, they take me about 30-40 minutes start to finish. Not so bad right? It is really a matter of having the ingredients on hand and the more you do it, the more you will!

3 comments:

Madeline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madeline said...

O.K. I deleted my first attempt as I wrote in excitement and had way too many crazy typos. So, take two:

What a magnificent picture of the chard! I think it's the most beautiful vegetable growing right now. I take many pictures of it but none as good as this one - infused by the light. I was looking at a row of it today - many kinds with a variety of orange and red stems - and thinking they looked like candy. sigh.

I am really excited about the gnocchi recipe as I've been craving (no, not like your craving:) gnocchi and hadn't a clue how to make it.

Thanks for the plug for my blog.

Bethany said...

Wow gorgeous pics. You should frame the one of the chard held up to the light. It's art.
I grow rainbow chard every year. Me and the buns love it. So pretty too.