Thursday, November 13, 2008

Candy? No, I said CANDIDA

So we got it! Chopper and I talked about what crazy way of eating we'd like to try first. Chop tends to have a little thing for sugar, as in he eats an awful lot of it. So he wants to go no sugar. I know this is a challenge for anyone as it also means no fruit, no dried fruit (our favorite snack), no breads/baked goods, cereal, etc etc. As well as the standard sugars like honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar. I want to up the ante a little so I would like to eat a "candida cleanse" diet. For those who aren't familiar with candida the information is all there in the word (click link). In short it is an imbalance of bacteria and yeast in your body, we all have this in some form or another, but it is when it starts to manifest into skin rashes and digestive issues that it can become an issue. Alot of people have this and don't realize it, ever go to a dermatologist for a skin rash that just won't go away?

So what can't we eat..thats what I want to know. Aged cheeses, alcohol, chocolate, dried fruits, fresh fruits, fermented foods, mushrooms, vinegar, glutenous foods (wheat, rye, oats, barley), all sugars, honeys and syrups (that includes any ‘ose’, like lactose, sucrose etc), and foods that contain yeast or mold (breads, muffins, cakes, baked goods, cheese, dried fruits, melons, peanuts - although nutritional and brewer’s yeasts are not harmful, as they do not colonize in the intestines). SO there you go! Candida is an overgrowth of yeast, hence the fermented foods and aged cheeses. I have to look into root vegetables, i have a pumpkin sitting here lookin at me, waiting to be eaten. Something tells me no, but I want to check.

Neither Chop nor I have Candida symptoms. We will do our best with this, Chop has asked for 1 piece of fruit a day (he says he really likes his 3:00 banana). Fortunately for us having that piece of fruit doesn't perpetuate a really itchy and painful rash or belly ache or in some cases diabetes like it would with someone suffering from Candida. If anything I think this will show us just how much sugar we actually eat! All I keep thinking is broccoli here I come!

PS: Ok so now that I have continued to research this diet I am getting some conflicting information one website says no "gluteness" grains (this would allow rice, millet, oat bran, rice bran), and then the other says no grains whatsoever. This same website does however allow: Green apples, berries, avocadoes, grapefruit, lemons, limes. I'm going to do a little combining and get the best of both worlds..hehe. Oh like you wouldn't have done the same!

2 comments:

melanie said...

i don't get why one can eat green apples yet one is supposed to 'avoid fresh and dried fruits'

persephone said...

Basically it has to do with the amount of sugar. Green apples, berries and citrus fruits (aside from oranges) have less sugar. The citrus is more alkalizing as well. We are opting not to eat the apples since we are choosing to do this for only 10 days. It is suggested, with the apples and grains to keep your servings to 1 a day. If someone has candida and is doing this cleanse they would want to listen to their bodies and see how it reacts to the limited fruit or non-gluten grains.