Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lonely, not eating is

Yesterday was tough. Then last night I learned why it was so hard...it was the first day of my period. Poor planner when it comes to that, always have been. So all day I felt tired, almost sick.

Then last night I went to the opening of a friends wellness center in Providence (really beautiful space offering acupuncture, reiki, massage, yoga, and dance. Check it out http://www.chestnutstreetwellness.com/Welcome.html)and I was introduced to an acupuncturist who, when she was told I was on the master cleanse, got pretty fired up about it not being a good thing to do. This was someone who's opinion I respect and I wanted to hear her reasonings. She spoke of the maple syrup being pure sugar (which it is) and the cayenne just irritating your intestines, but the lemon is beneficial. I agree with her on the m.syrup, but I also understand that the amount that you are drinking throughout the day (about a cup), and the neccesity of it to make it 10 days no food makes it more of a tool than a inhibitor. And the cayenne, its there to circulate the blood which it does. I feel flush after taking a big gulp from the cayenne and again it is a 1/4 of a teaspoon per liter of fluid, so not enough to be a major intestinal irritant. Regardless of us both having our different educated opinions, I continued to think about this as I was not feeling so hot and thought she could be right.

In that processing time I came to this...this is more of a mental/endurance feat for me than a physical cleanse. Granted my tongue is no longer white and velvety and my skin feels smooth and soft And I've lost some weight, most of which I will gain back but what I don't gain back was excess and I'm happy to be rid of it. But like I've said before, it has changed my view on food and it's place in our lives. We don't need all the food we eat, we don't need 1/2 of it. We do need, however, connection with people to break bread so to speak. I understand why people overeat, especially when their needs aren't being met in other areas of their lives. I knew that in theory, but now I feel like I understand it a little deeper. It was lonely not eating. Because I have my period now I may drink a vegetable juice today. Juicing is also a great cleanse. I may stick to juice cleanses from now on, after having completed my cleansing marathon. Tomorrow is Day 10. ahhhhhhhhh

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Hey Persephone,
Catching up on your blog. You're doing such a great job journaling about the whole experience. I love your insights about food, really thoughtful and helpful to me, who as I'm sure you know struggles everyday with food issues.
Great job.
I hope you keep the blog.
You're a fantastic writer and have lots of great stuff to share.

persephone said...

thanks so much Bethany...wait till you read tomorrow's. bye bye cleanse, but what insight I will share. I'm certainly glad you are enjoying it. Whatever you have to say as a blogger is a compliment.