Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm hungry

OK I'm not going to lie...I'm hungry. Day 3, I believe, is the proverbial hump that I must get over. Just so we're all on the up and up, I had a plum last night at 5 pm, another plum at 6 pm, and then at 8 I had an avocado. The plums were mealy, a bit disappointing (out of season, but they looked so good). THe avocado was rich and creamy and I really took my time with it. I consider the avocado a little like cheating, because it is a fat, but it was raw and a fruit. As I had mentioned before I am allowing myself to have raw fruits or vegetables for the first 3 days, only at dinner time, and I am trying to space them out so that they digest easily (the whole point of the cleanse). Tonight I'm at my mother's house (gotta wake up and vote tomorrow). My mother has been living a cleanse (so to speak), she has been eating a raw/living food diet for the past month and a half! I am so proud of her, and also excited to perhaps have a few bites of her raw food meal tonight.

I imagine some people or purists may be disappointed at me mentioning eating (at all) during this cleanse, but the point is to cleanse my body..not take any major stances or impress anyone. I actually think eating during the cleanse will hurt more than help, my body getting a taste of food will crave it more, making hunger more prevalent. So just the first 3 days, maybe 4. I am going to an election night potluck tomorrow night and I'm thinking of making a little raw veggie platter so that I can nibble on something, but then thats it! I promise. Even after the first few days I still have another 7 of not eating, so yeah, its cool.

I went grocery shopping today. I'm on the mainland, it had to be done. Actually my mom asked how I could do it and I realized that I really really wanted to. I started justifying why I had to go today, instead of waiting till I'm eating and cooking again. When I realized I was coming up with justifications, I had a loving "acceptance moment" with myself, just how much I love food. I love to shop for it, cook it, and eat it, having food completely removed is too hard. So torturous, as it may have been, I visited the new Trader Joes in RI. I spent way more money than I should have, and I guess thats because I broke the cardinal rule.

No comments: